Resources For families with dogs and babies!

Monday, January 26, 2009

Dogs and babies

I know I know....it has been awhile since I posted and I am sorry. I am happy to announce that we will have some guest authors here and I am excited about that! So, don't go away.....
I have now entered my second trimester in my pregnancy and have learned a great deal more about what is top priority as far as preparing our family (and yours) for the arrival of a new one.
Pictured below are our family dogs. All are rescue and all have their own issues but have learned quite a bit. Getting ready for a baby will require work on our part for 3 out of the 4. As our girl Carin has been through this routine before and is wonderful and easily managed when needed.
It is important all dogs learn to wait, listen and PATIENCE! Taking turns is a great game and encourages self control and boundaries. Here our dogs are waiting while our cat accepts a piece of turkey.
I have now entered my second trimester in my pregnancy and have learned a great deal more about what is top priority as far as pre
paring our family (and yours) for the arrival of a new one.

Our household is busy and our dogs have adapted well to larger kids. but not quite well enough for a baby to be in our environment. Everyone needs to be able to give cues and have the dogs respond so each person must work with the dogs during meal time to help increase responsivness. The dogs listen to me very well but....once the baby is here we really need all hands on deck and the dogs must have routines with others besides me. This is a huge thing for families to take into consideration during the first months of pregnancy.
1. Who do the dogs listen to most?
2. Who caretakes the most?
3. Who is most responsible for setting boundaries and keeping them?
Asking these questions will help begin to guide you in your preparation for the baby.

No comments: